Sampling of North Carolina's Archaeological Sites
Bertie County, NC
The Rhodes site (31Br90)
is located on the eastern bank of the Roanoke River in Bertie County,
in the vicinity of Hamilton, N.C. It consists of a deeply buried
midden deposit dating from the Middle to Late Woodland periods (ca.
300 B.C. - A.D. 1715). The site appears to have been the location
of specialized subsistence activities and, as such, probably functioned
at various times as a satellite or seasonal campsite for a larger
and more permanent village settlements nearby.
The site was first
reported to the [Office of State Archaeology] by Mr. Henry Winslow
a resident of Hamilton. After a preliminary examination at the site,
staff archaeologists and volunteers returned for two days of testing
in October of 1982. The purpose of these investigations was to determine
and document the dimensions, condition and probably cultural affiliations
of the site.
There appear to be
two major aspects to the significance of 3lBr90: 1) the potential
for understanding more clearly the function of a Woodland period
specialized activity site and its role in Middle and Late Woodland
subsistence; and 2) the potential for refining our present understanding
of temporal variation in ceramic types in the coastal plain. The
presence of charred organic remains offers the opportunity for acquiring
radiocarbon dates, as well as information about the foods eaten
by the site occupants.
The Rhodes site was
listed in the National Register of Historic Places on August 28,
1986 and is being preserved by the landowner.
by: Dolores A.
Hall, NC Office of State Archaeology
by permission from the NEWSLETTER of the Friends of
North Carolina Archaeology, Inc., Winter 1987, Volume 3, Number 1.
© North Carolina Archaeological Society 1987
to ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITES