Sampling of North Carolina's Archaeological Sites
Montgomery County, NC
for several thousand years, the major occupation at the Town Creek
site, Montgomery Co., was during the 15th and 15th centuries A.D.
At that time, the site served as a major ceremonial center of the
Pee Dee culture. It is thought that these peoples were Muskogean-speakers
who moved north into the Pee Dee River valley from the South Carolina
area. The ceremonial center occupation was relatively short-lived,
however, lasting only about 100 years.
The features at Town
Creek included an earthen mound and temple, a priest's house and
a mortuary house. Several smaller sites have been recorded in the
general vicinity of Town Creek and may have been associated farmsteads
and communities. It is believed that the inhabitants of these outlying
settlements came to Town Creek for important religious, political
and social occasions.
Excavations at the
site began in 1937 under the direction of Dr. Joffre L. Coe and
have continued at various times to the present day.
The main ceremonial
center at Town Creek has been partially reconstructed and is now
a State Historic Site. The site is open to the public Tuesday through
Sunday. The Town Creek Site was listed in the National Register
of Historic Places and designated a National Historic Landmark on
October 15, 1966.
[NOTE: A major publication
on the Town Creek site is available through the University of North
Carolina Press, Chapel Hill.]
by permission from the NEWSLETTER of the Friends of
North Carolina Archaeology, Inc., Fall 1985, Volume 2, Number 1.
© North Carolina Archaeological Society 1985
to ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITES